Sunday, November 26, 2006

Flying Squirrel in our Forest




















We see these animals lately on our porch at night. So my husband did some research and found this:
The eastern flying squirrel, one of 273 species of squirrel found worldwide, is highly modified for an arboreal existence. The presence of a large flight membrane, called a patagium, between the front and hind legs allows the flying squirrel to engage in controlled gliding when moving between trees. Flying squirrels feed primarily on seeds, nuts, fruits, and occasionally on fungi and insects. (I took the first photo and yes, we saw them gliding like on the second photo many times)

Neuerdings sehen wir diese Tierchen abends auf unserer Terrasse. Mein Mann hat mal recherchiert und rausgefunden, dass es sich um ein 'orientalisches fliegendes Eichhoernchen' handelt. Es hat eine Flugmembrane zwischen den Vorder-und Hinterbeinen, womit es kontrolliert gleiten kann, wenn es sich zwischen Baeumen hin und her bewegt. (Ich habe das erste Foto gemacht und ja, wir haben sie oft gleiten sehen, wie auf dem zweiten Bild)

4 comments:

Dunja said...

Wow..that is amazing.You have that in your "yard"
...they look cute! What a nature show! Enjoy!

T said...

thats it I am coming to your house!
I will be taking over! moving in! and absorbing your life!
but seriouly God has yet again given you another blessing of nature!

Gudl said...

Lemming, you are funny! I don't think my husband would be happy with you moving in and taking over ;-))
And seriously, yes, I feel blessed, too, all the time. I am so thankful to God for the beauty all around us.

Priscilla said...

Wow! I've never seen one of those and I'm a native! Of course I've heard of them...but they don't seem to dwell in town.